The parliamentary standing committee on Defence headed by Maj Gen B.C. Khanduri (Retd) has noted that the Defence Ministry was not taking any “concrete measures” following terror attacks like Uri and Pathankot.
The report of the Parliamentary panel was tabled in the Lok Sabha on Thursday
The parliamentary committee report had earlier said that heightened security measures needed to be taken post the terror attack on an airbase in Pathankot in January last year.
On its part, the government in an Action Taken Report sent to the panel said the report by a committee under former Vice Chief of Army Lt. Gen. Philip Campose (retired), which was submitted on 20 May, 2016, is being examined “in consultation with all stakeholders”.
The Parliamentary panel further stated that the report by the Vice Chief of Army was submitted in May 2016 and the ministry has furnished its Action Taken Report in December.
“Yet, there is no information with regard to the inputs considered in the report,” the panel pointed out.
“The security scenario is vulnerable as has been exposed during the Pathankot and Uri attacks. Yet, no concrete measures appear to have been taken even after a lapse of 6-7 months of the submission of the report,” it said.
The panel said it is “disturbed” to note the “apparent lack of sincerity” on the part of the Defence Ministry and desires that the situation should improve.
“Necessary measures must be taken so as to ensure that any unpleasant incidence does not recur,” the panel said.
Terrorists attacked the Pathankot Air Force Station, part of the Western Air Command of the Indian Air Force, on 2 January, 2016, killing seven security personnel.
On 18 September last year, four heavily armed terrorists attacked an Army camp near the town of Uri in Jammu and Kashmir. A total of 19 Army personnel were killed.
In both attacks, the terrorists came from across the border, India has said.
(With inputs from ANI)