Make In India In Defence
- In the last three financial years (2014-15 to 2016-17), 58 contracts were signed with foreign vendors for procurement of defence capital equipment for Defence Forces.
- Since promulgation of DPP-2016 (i.e. 01.04.2016), a total of 79 capital contracts for `1,28,077.41 Crore have been signed (upto 30.11.2017), out of which, 46 contracts amounting to `44,219.55 Crore are with Indian vendors and 33 contracts for `83,857.86 Crore are with Foreign vendors.
Research & Development in Defence Sector—DRDO’s Developed Major Projects In 3 Years
Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO), the Research wing of Ministry of Defence has been set up with a mandate of developing cutting edge technologies and systems for Indian Armed Forces as per their specific Qualitative Requirements.
The list of major projects developed by DRDO during the last three years is as under :-
· Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas
· Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C) System
· 155mm/52 Calibre Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS)
· Weapon Locating Radar (WLR) Swati
· High speed Heavy Weight Ship Launched Torpedo (Varunastra)
· Anti-Torpedo Decoy System (Maareech)
· Arudhra-Medium Power Radar
· Akash Weapon System
· Abhay Sonar
· Hull Mounted Sonar (HUMSA)
· HUMSA UG
· Advanced Indigenous Distress Sonar System (AIDSS)
· Near ﬁeld acoustic characterization system (NACS)
· NBC Technologies
· NBC Recce Vehicle Mk-I
· 120 mm FSAPDS(Fin stabilised Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot) Mk-II Ammunition for MBT Arjun
· 120 mm FSAPDS Practice Ammunition for MBT Arjun
· 250 Kg Pre-fragmented Bomb
· 46m Inﬂatable Radome
· Air Bursting Grenades for Individual Weapons
· Anti Torpedo Decoys
· Bar Mine Layer
· CBRNe Remotely Operated Platforms
· Commander’s Non-Panoramic TI (Thermal Imaging) Sight for Armoured Fighting Vehicles (T-90, T-72 & BMP-II)
· Computerized Pilot Selection System
· Dual Colour Missile Approach Warning System for Fighter Aircraft
· Electro-Optical Fire Control System for Naval Ships
· Electro-Optical Sensors for Airborne Platforms
· Enhanced Range Rocket (Pinaka Mk-II)
· EW Suite for Fighter Aircraft
· Exotic and Indigenous Varieties of Vegetables under Protected Environment
· G-band CC-TWT for Weapon Locating Radar
· Heavy Drop System – l6T
· Integrated Automotive Vetronics Systems for AFVs
· Ku-Band MPM based Transmitter for Airbone Radar
· Laser Target Designator with Thermal Imager for Air Force
· Medium Size Integrated Aerostat Surveillance System
· Mine ﬁeld Marking Equipment Mk-ll
· Mountain Foot Bridge
· Multi Calibre Individual Weapon System
· Multi-Inﬂuence Ground Mine
· Sub-Munition Warheads for Pinaka
· Synthetic Aperture Radar for UAV
· Terrain Assessment System for Trans-border Deserts in Western Sector
· Thermo-Baric Ammunition for 120 mm Arjun Tank
· Upgraded Troposcatter Communication System for Indian Air Force
· Vehicle Mounted High Power Laser Directed Energy System Against RPVs/UAVs/DRONES
· Water Mist System Validation for Fire Protection in Naval Ships.
BUDGETARY ALLOCATION AND SPENDING ON DEFENCE MODERNISATION
- An amount of Rs.2,59,261.90 Crores was allocated for Defence Forces under Defence Services Estimates (DSE), 2017-18.
- An amount of Rs.2,16,685.59 Crores has been spent upto 31.12.2017.
- At Revised Estimate stage, an additional amount of Rs.39690.18 Crores was sought, however, no additional funds were allocated under Revised Estimate 2017-18.
- These funds under modernisation are utilized for induction of new equipment and technological upgradation of Capabilities identified through a comprehensive planning process, to keep the Armed Forces in a state of readiness to meet various security challenges.
- An amount of Rs.69,405.75 Crores was allocated for Modernisation (Capital Acquisition) under DSE in Budget Estimate 2017-18.
- Till 31.12.2017 the expenditure under modernisation is Rs.61,002.97 Crores.
CLAIM TO FAME— Major Achievements by Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs)
- Goa Shipyard Limited delivered Naval Offshore Patrol Vessels, Damage Control Simulator, Fuel Barge, Fast Patrol Vessel for the Indian Navy and Coast Guard.
- The Bharat Dynamics Limited developed Akash Weapon System for Army, Long Range Surface to Air Missile for the Indian Navy and test fired the Anti-Tank Guided Missile.
- The Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited launched the Visakhapatnam Class Destroyers and commissioned the INS Kalvari, the Scorpene class Submarine.
- During the period the Light Combat Helicopter attained initial operational clearance, first technical flight of Light Utility Helicopter was undertaken and Brahmos Integration with SU-30MKI Aircraft was undertaken by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
- Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) commissioned the secure CDMA Cellular Network at Srinagar.
Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Limited delivered the Anti Submarines Warfare Corvette, Offshore Patrol Vessel, Water Jet Fast Attack Aircraft and Landing Craft Utility during the period.
SIGNING OF AGREEMENTS WITH OTHER COUNTRIES
A list of military or defence related agreements signed with other nations for the last three years (i.e. from 4th February 2015) is as under:-
Technical Agreement on Exchange of White Shipping Information
Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) between the Coast Guards for Establishment of Collaborative Relationship to Combat Transnational Illegal activities at sea and Develop Regional Cooperation
MoU on Defence Cooperation Framework .
MoU between DSSC, Wellington and DSCSC, Mirpur for Enhancing Cooperation concerning Military Education in the field of Strategic and Operational Studies
MoU Between NDC, New Delhi and NDC, Dhaka for enhancing cooperation in the field on National Security, development and strategic studies
MoU between the Government of Indian and he Government of His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam on Defence Cooperation.
MoU between the navies of Chile and India Establishing a Frame work for Cooperation and Confidentiality in Navy Issues.
MoU on bilateral Defence Cooperation between the Ministry of Defence of the Republic of India and the Ministry of Defence and National Security of the Republic of Fiji.
MoU between Govt. of India and the Govt. of the French Republic on the purchase of Rafael.
Agreement concerning Security Measures for the Protection of Classified Military Information.
Agreement concerning Transfer of Defence Equipment and Technology.
Agreement between the Government of the Republic of India and the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan on Defence and Military Technical Cooperation.
MoU on Cooperation in the field of Defence Cooperation.
10. Kyrgyz Republic
Agreement between the Government of the Republic of India and the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic on Defence Cooperation.
Action plan for Defence Cooperation.