At 53, Udayant has successfully initiated, nurtured and scaled to industrial size, various technologies associated with all three sciences; physics, chemistry and biology.
He is the CEO & Managing Director of Dynamatic Technologies Limited, a world-class design, engineering and manufacturing company which designs and builds highly engineered products for Hydraulic, Automotive, Aeronautic and Security applications. Dynamatic Technologies Limited is a leading private R&D organisation with numerous patents and inventions to its credit, and partners marquee customers like Airbus, Boeing, Bell Helicopter, BMW, Audi, Daimler, Mercedes, John Deere and Cummins on a single source basis.
Excerpts of his exclusive Interview with DefenceAviationPost.com
1. What are the important aerospace and defence programmes that Dynamatics is part of today?
- Dynamatic is major partners for Defence programs in India. Sukhoi 30 which is India’s main stay bomber aircraft has all the control surfaces built by Dynamatic. We have delivered over 100 Aircraft sets till date to HAL. We are also the only Private Sector Company to be co-located with HAL, Nasik and delivering products just in time to the Final Assembly Line in Nasik.
- Dynamatic has also won long term contract for manufacture of Main Fuselage for Tejas – LCA, where we are responsible for the Major Assembly Jig Manufacturing, Detail parts and Assembly Manufacturing.
- Dynamatic is also a major partner for International customers like Boeing on the Defence programmes. We are a Single Source Supplier on the Boeing P8 Poseidon, where we built the Power & Mission Cabinets.
- We also have a long term contract with Boeing on the Chinook CH 47, where we build class 1 critical structures – Aft Pylon and Cargo Ramp, which are fitted on the Fuselage of the Aircraft. Till date we have delivered 75 Assemblies to Boeing.
2. Please elaborate on the company’s significant contribution to the SU-30 MKI programme in terms of aerostructure manufacture and supply?
- Dynamatic has been partner with HAL for over 2 Decades and has been building complex Aero structure parts. Sukhoi 30 program which was won by Dynamatic in 2004-05 has been a true PPP program, where all the major control surfaces like Vertical Fin, Horizontal Stabilizer, Slats Canard and Ventral Fin of the Aircraft are built by Dynamatic. The Structure involves over 3500 detail parts, which are produced in Bangalore and then kitted and sent to our facility in Nasik for the Final Assembly. Dynamatic is the only company to be located inside a Defence PSU, towing down the products just in time for the final assembly. Dynamatic has successfully delivered over 100 Aircraft sets till dates and also has been the best supplier for HAL, consecutively for the last 3 years.
3. Is the company looking at a role in the LCA and future AMCA programme?
- We are already on the LCA program with building of the Main Fuselage. On the AMCA program, we have provided our EOI and look forward for the next steps on this project.
4. What are the components that Dynamatics is supplying to Boeing?
- Chinook CH 47 Aft Pylon & Cargo Ramp
- Boeing P8 Poseidon – Power & Mission Cabinets
5. Please elaborate on the company’s partnership with Airbus as a single source supplier?
- Dynamatic has developed itself as a Center of excellence on the Flap Track Beam. Dynamatic is Global Single Source for the beams on the A320 Family aircraft delivered more than 4500 Aircrafts. We are also Global Single Source for A330 Aircraft. In Total Dynamatic delivers close to 800 Aircrafts sets every year, making Dynamatic the only company in India to be 100% with Airbus Aircraft.
6. Does the single source supplier concept exist amongst Indian Defence PSU’s?
- We are single source wrt all the programs with Defence PSU, either for the Sukhoi or LCA. Currently defence programs having dual source do not make sense, due to low volume.
7. How does Dynamatics intend to grow and fund its aerospace ambitions?
- Dynamatic believes in grassroots development, where we would like to build capabilities, capacities and skills required to deliver the complexity in the Aerospace world. We have proven that by being a Tier 1 supplier to Airbus, Boeing, Bell Helicopters, HAL. Funding for the company is either through internal accruals or from banks.
8. What is the company’s current revenue and order book and forecast for the same in 2022?
- Dynamatic Technologies is a listed business both on BSE and NSE and our financials are published every quarter. We are growing the company and our Aerospace business is one of the major drivers.
9. What has been the impact of the ‘Make in India’ initiative in the case of Dynamatics?
- As mentioned Dynamatic focused mainly on building skills and capabilities. This has taken over a decade, due to the complexity and process requirements in Aerospace. Make In India has been an enabler for Dynamatic, where we are ready to take on more work
10. What are the important aerospace and defence programmes, which the company is keen to participate in the future?
- Dynamatic has developed itself to partner either on Fighter Aircrafts, Helicopters or Fixed Wing Aircrafts. We are agnostic and are willing to partner on any programs, which will be made in India, by any partner.
11. What are the investments being made by Dynamatics to source technologies and companies abroad?
- Dynamatic has already created a Global foot print for the design and manufacture of products for Aerospace & Defence. We have access to some innovative technologies globally, which we are exploring to acquire whether in house or via M&A
12. What are the highlights for Dynamatic during Aero India 2019?
- During Aero India, Dynamatic has signed MoUs with Russian Helicopters for Kamov as also with SAAB for the Fighter aircraft.
- We delivered the 100th Shipset to Airbus, wrt Flap Track Beams, for A 330 as also delivered the 100th Shipset to Boeing, wrt Mission and Power Cabinets for the P8 Poseidon Maritime Aircraft.
- Dynamatic has always incubated and mentored young minds, to augment the future “Make in India” eco system in India. In line with this, Dynamatic sponsored as also mentored the UAV team from NMIMS, Shirpur, for the Drone Olympics, held during Aero India.