On Thursday, several news reports suggested that additional army deployment in Doklam area was ordered to get back to their barracks. The reports stated that the process of withdrawal would be completed in a month.
However, Raveesh Kumar, MEA spokesperson denied the reports about either China ‘building wider roads’ or India pulling back its troops. Kumar said that there was no change in the status quo. He said at a MEA briefing: “We had issued a press statement, it was issued on October 6 as we had said then there are no new developments at the face of the site or its vicinity since the August 28 disengagement. The status quo prevails in this area, and any suggestions to the contrary are incorrect. I am not aware about any changes.”
Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had earlier complimented the Army for its professionalism in handling the Doklam stand-off and other challenges such as containing insurgency in the northeastern region. In an address to the top commanders of the Army, she said enhancing capacity of the Army was a major focus of the government and promised close monitoring of improving strategic infrastructure.
“She conveyed admiration of the nation for the professionalism of the Indian Army during events like Doklam stand-off, response to natural disasters and keeping the situation of insurgency in the North East states fairly under control,” the Army said in a statement.