Parrikar Speaks On Crucial Issues Of Procurement
Raksha Mantri Manohar Parrikar spoke to media on the sidelines of an event in the capital. Following are some of the highlights of his interaction on a host of issues concerning defence procurement, selection of chief of armed forces, state of OFB, OROP and other issues.
Strategic Partnership (SP) Model
- SP to be finalised soon, discussions in final stages and are likely to be concluded this month itself.
- A Meeting to finalise SP Model fixed for next week
- Attributed a month’s delay in finalising SP model to year end work.
- No more delays in SP model finalisation.
Make In India
- During this fiscal, 95% of acquisitions given AON belong to the new IDDM or Make in India category.
- Value of acquisitions at Rs 95,000 cr for the current year.
* Naval LCA to be developed only for technology demonstration
* Navy needs twin engine fighter.
* Navy will participate in developing the model but will not be commercially produced.
On new fighter jet lines
- One Tejas line operational, capacity to be increased to 16 a year.
- Keeps option of LCA Make 2 open, says will think of it on 2024-25.
On single engine fighter
- India needs another single engine fighter line
- To be done under the Strategic Partnership model.
- Indian company for single engine fighter jet to be identified through the Atre committee model.
- On who will be the western partner for the new fighter line, will depend on Transfer of Technology (ToT) and financial proposal by OEM.
- Competitive process to be followed to select western fighter to be made in India.
- G2G deal to be inked after selection.
- The amount of ToT on offer and price competitiveness to determine which western fighter to be made in India.
On Making Twin engine fighter in India
- Nothing immediately but proposal kept for later
- Says reports on additional procurement of Rafale are speculative.
- When India decides to go for a twin engine fighter to be made here, will consider the Rafale also. But not now.
- Competition route for twin engine made in India fighters will also be considered. But single engine this year.
- India aims to export $ 2bl arms by 2019
- Vietnam using Indian made warships
- L&T has signed some contracts with Vietnam for ships that were discussed during bilateral visit
- PSUs to supply $ 300-400 ml worth equipment to friendly nations this year
- Hints at exports to Afghanistan. Asked specifically on possibility of defence exports to Afghanistan, Parrikar said Afghanistan is a good friend.
- Looking at aspects of production, IPR, technology transfer being looked into before signing up for FGFA with Russia.
On Working On Ordnance Factory Boards
* OFBs to be given a chance to produce assault rifles for the Army
* On new assault rifle for Army, Four months given to OFB to prove new design.
* If it doesn’t work, the same will be done under fast track.
* There had been an increase in OFB productivity this year
* Increase in productivity is more in arms and ammunition and not vehicles as was in the past.
Increased Power To Armed Forces
- Increased the delegated financial powers to armed forces in 2016
- Four times increase in financial powers of the Northern Command controlling the strategic J&K sector
On Su 30
- Availability has come up to 64% percent now
- Had earlier dipped to below 45%.///
On Selection of Chief of Armed Forces
- Selection is the prerogative of Govt
- If seniority, date of birth was only criteria, computer would have selected service chief, what follow a cabinet process
- All candidates for Army Cheif were equally good.
- Don’t know where this principle of seniority has come from.
- We got all good candidates. Procedure doesn’t say seniority is norm.
On OROP/Other Facilities For Retired Personnel
- Almost 99 % of eligible cases for OROP disbursal will be completed by January end
- From 900 to 2028 is the increase in hospitals, polyclinics under ECHS in the past two years
- Special directions given to increase capacity of paraplegic institute in Pune and Chandigarh.